I’ve mentioned before that pizza night is kind of a big deal in our house. Suggesting to go a weekend without making pizza is almost as unheard of as a morning without coffee! But so that we don’t get bored with the same old flavors, I try to mix it up. Pears are one of my favorite pizza toppings. In Italy, my go-to pizza was always pear & Gorgonzola. At home though, goat cheese is more well-liked than Gorgonzola, so we often top our pear pizza with goat cheese. This recipe calls for spinach to make it even healthier, salted caramelized onions for extra flavor and mozzarella for melty goodness!
See more of my favorite pizza toppings, including:
Tomato Basil Margarita — find the crust recipe I use there too
We’re in the heart of pear season right now, with four varieties currently available and two more starting soon:
Blakes Pride (Similar to Bartlett)- Now -9/14
Asian Pears now- 9/14
Magness- Now- Limited
Harrow Sweet 9/21
Find out more on our pick-your-own pears page.
Take a look at the video below to see some of the pears we’re picking now and to see a how-to video for the recipe.Print
Pear Pizza with Goat Cheese & Caramelized Onions
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- 1 cup baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1 pear, thinly sliced
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 oz fresh goat cheese
- olive oil and salt for caramelizing onions
- Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sauté the onions with oil and salt on medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until caramelized.
- Stretch out the dough on a pizza pan and poke holes with a fork or pizza docker.
- Bake 5-8 minutes until crust is set and just becoming golden brown in a few places.
- Add spinach, mozzarella, pears, caramelized onions and goat cheese.
- return to oven for 7-12 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is crispy.