On Tuesday, June 28, Phoebe Canakis of Phoebe’s Pure Food shared her amazing berry recipes.Print
Berry Citrus Wild Rice Salad
Easily prepare this salad using seasonal fruit like strawberries, raspberries, blueberries or cherries. Skip the cheese for a vegan salad preparation. vegan optional, gluten-free
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 2 ounces (2–3 cups) spinach or kale, julienned
- 11-ounce can mandarin orange wedges, drained or 1 orange, segmented
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds or walnut pieces
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Raspberry Shrub Dressing
- 1 half-pint (6 ounces) fresh raspberries
- 1 cup pitted and halved cherries or blueberries
- 6 ounces crumbled feta (non-vegan)
- Prepare rice blend per package instructions. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl gently combine the cooled rice, spinach, oranges, almonds, chives, mint and salt. Dress the salad to taste. Gently fold the raspberries and cherries into the salad, garnish with cheese and serve.
Blackberry Shrub Dressing
Find the recipe for Berry Shrub on PhoebesPureFood.com or WeaversOrchard.com. You could substitute the shrub with 1/4 cup raspberries (mashed) and rice vinegar. Yield: approximately 1 cup vegan optional, gluten-free
- 1/3 cup blackberry shrub
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam or 2 tablespoons honey (non-vegan)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Put all of the ingredients in a jar. Tightly seal the lid and shake until combined. Keep refrigerated for up to one week.
Berry Cherry Balsamic Salad
Serve just as it is or top with a grilled meat or seafood. This is an easy warm weather salad! If you like to play with flavor, roast the cherries. You could even add cherry tomatoes to the roasting pan. Play with this recipe using seasonal ingredients.
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1 cup prepared quinoa
- 1 zucchini, julienned or matchstick-cut
- 2 ounces (2–3 cups) fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved cherries
- 1 orange, segmented
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds or poppy seeds (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup pecans or walnut pieces
- 1⁄3 cup feta or bleu cheese crumbles
Berry Balsamic Dressing
- 1/2 cup pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 3 tablespoons balsamic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, zucchini, spinach, raspberries, cherries, orange, and chia seeds.
- Prepare the dressing. Puree the cherries, raspberries, balsamic, olive oil, and honey in a blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dress the salad to taste. Garnish with pecans and feta. Serve.