When peaches are in season, there’s few things I crave more than peaches and cream in various forms: peaches and plain yogurt with a dash of vanilla or a sprinkling of vanilla granola, peaches on cereal with milk, peaches and ice cream and just plain peaches and homemade whipped cream. These peaches and cream crepes are a new favorite way to enjoy the tried-and-true combination.
Ever since I was a child living close to Weaver’s Orchard, I’ve been eating seasonally and looking forward to the different crops that the change in each season brings. Peaches are such a staple of my childhood memories, both in summertime and throughout the year as my mom often canned them for us to enjoy later. I can clearly remember my excitement hearing the snap of a jar lid opening as my mom would serve up some of the peaches she had canned. I hope to pass on some of this love for eating seasonally to my son, so this recipe is just one of many ways we’ll enjoy fresh fruit in season. So far peaches and nectarines have been one of the few fruits my son hasn’t loved immediately, but today he ate almost a whole nectarine! I’m sure that getting involved in the cooking (and photographing) process helped pique his interest in this fruit again.
Right now, some of the best peaches and nectarines are in season at the orchard. We will have excellent picking of yellow and white freestone peaches now through August 25th. Yellow peaches will continue through around September 8th, though they may become more scattered. For white peaches, the picking is excellent right now. Expect a bit of a gap between varieties from around August 28 through around September 1. After that, there will be more white peaches coming through the first week of September.
All that to say, the BEST picking is right now! Make plans to come pick them this weekend or early next week!
Homemade Whipped Cream
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Total Time: 16 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 2 cup whipping creams
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or ground vanilla beans
- Chill the bowl and the beaters of an electric mixer or food processor.
- Add whipping cream, sugar and vanilla to the bowl and mix on medium speed approximately 3-6 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8-10 large crepes 1x
- 2 cups flour
- 3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- Butter for the pan
- 2–3 large peaches or nectarines, sliced
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, milk and eggs with a whisk until no longer lumpy.
- Heat butter in a large non-stick skillet or crepe maker over medium-high heat.
- Use a ladle to add a very thin layer of batter to the skillet. Tip the pan around to ensure that the crepe batter spreads out evenly. Cook on medium-high 2-4 minutes per side, until a few golden bubbles appear on each side.
- Repeat until all crepes have been made. Add the sliced peaches and cream — either fold the crepes into quarters before filling or lay flat, fill and roll up like a burrito. Dust with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!