Healthy Flatbread Recipe
- Category: Bread
In a Cuisinart standing mixer:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- One half-packet yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Place following ingredients to food processor (blend and add to above ingredients)
- 1/8 cup oatmeal
- 1/8 cup flax seed
- 1/8 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves (or add powdered garlic, sage, thyme… whatever makes you happy)
- Preheat Grill to 450 with pizza stone.
- Using mixing paddle, add 1 cup flour, and ground ingredients into bowl; add salt, pinch of sugar, yeast and 4 tablespoons oil; then slowly add 1 1/2 cups water, mix for 8 minutes at medium speed.
- Remove mixing paddle and add bread dough paddle. Slowly add 2 cups flour and mix until dough is pliable about 6 minutes. Add more water or flour to create desired consistency.
- Cover bowl for 45-60 minutes.
- Form dough into golf ball size balls and roll on floured surface to thin consistency
- Carefully place flat bread onto stone, grill about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove, cool and enjoy
Flatbread Pizzas on the Grill
- 2¼ teaspoons yeast or one package yeast
- 1⅓ cups warm water (110-115°F)
- 3½ cups unbleached all purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Ingredients to add to the dough:
- a) Minced garlic
- b) Thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary/ whatever your choice fresh or powdered
- c) Liquid smoke – one drop- be careful!
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a mixer attachment, combine the yeast and warm water. Stir it around and let sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast is foamy and dissolved. Add flour, olive oil, salt, and sugar. Add a, b, or c (your choice – be creative, take chances)
- Once all of the ingredients are mixed, knead for 7 minutes by hand or with your dough hook on low-medium speed. If your dough is too wet, add up to ¼ cup more flour. After kneading, your dough should be smooth and elastic. Poke it with your finger – if it slowly bounces back, your dough is ready to rise. If not, keep kneading.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl that has been coated lightly with olive oil. Turn it over to coat all sides. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm environment (about 75-80°F) for about 1 – 1½ hours.
- Punch the dough down to release the air.
- Divide the dough into two. Roll each half into a ball and let rest in two separate greased bowls, lightly covered for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, flatten each ball of dough, one at a time on a lightly floured surface or silicone baking mat. You could also do this directly on your cornmeal lined pizza pan. Flatten into a 12-inch round circle, flattening and stretching the dough. If using a pizza stone, place the dough directly on baker’s peels dusted with cornmeal.
- Grill pizza 5-10 minutes until cheese melts and crust is crispy
- Remove from heat, rest 5 minutes and slice
Pizza Stone (for wood flavor add one chunk of wood to gas grill)
- Place cold pizza stone on cold grill
- Turn grill on low for 5 minutes
- Increase heat to medium for 5 minutes
- Goal is to get grill to 500
Preparing the Pizza:
- Use a liberal amount of cornmeal on pizza peel
- Prepare pizza (see toppings recipes below for:
A) Goat cheese spinach
B) Teriyaki chicken and smoked gouda
C) Mozzarella, Basil vinaigrette
Jane’s / Mama’s Rustic old school sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- Two cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 can peeled tomato
- ¼ cup diced green pepper
- 3 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock. divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to heated pan.
- Add onions, green pepper and garlic with ½ cup of chicken stock and sauté 10 minutes until soft.
- Add tomato paste and one can of peeled tomatoes, press tomatoes until broken. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and ½ cup of chicken stock, stir and bring to boil.
- Add basil and remove from heat, stir and wait 30 minutes before serving.
- Set aside to cool and add to pizza or store for later.
Goat cheese and spinach
- One bag of fresh spinach
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz goat cheese or crumbled goat cheese
- One shallot
- One clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Add olive oil to medium heated pan
- Sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft
- Add full bag of spinach and ½ cup of chicken stock
- Cook until reduced
- Add salt pepper to taste
- Add smoked paprika and stir
- Set aside to cool and add to pizza or store for later.
Teriyaki chicken and smoked Gouda with vinaigrette
- Two chicken breasts
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ pepper
- 8 ounces smoked gouda
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place chicken breast in large plastic bag and pound until uniform width
- Remove chicken from bag and add to large sealed bag
- Add first 5 ingredients to bag mix bag and let marinate for 1 hour or over night
- Shred smoked Gouda
- Remove chicken from bag
- Pre heat grill to 450
- Grill chicken 6 minutes per side until cooked to correct doneness (internal temp of 165)
- Remove from heat and rest 5-8 minutes
- Slice chicken and set aside to add to pizza
- Add all above ingredients to bowl mix well, set aside to drizzle over pizza to taste before grilling and add extra after removing from grill or to taste.
- 3 fresh tomatoes
- One clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- ½ cup olive oil
- White balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shallots
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt pepper to taste
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella
- Dice tomatoes
- Crush garlic
- Chop basil
- Finely chop shallots
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix well
- Cut mozzarella thin and add to top of pizza, garnish with fresh basil