I didn’t really have a plan. I just bought a pint of heavy cream at Weaver’s Orchard over the weekend. I love the cream they sell from Kreider Farm’s. It’s not ultra-pasteurized like most heavy cream, and doesn’t contain any preservatives like so many other brands of cream do. I love to use it in homemade ice cream, whipped cream and tiramisu. I also make a topping for scones called clotted cream (a British favorite, and I make it in my InstantPot).
With the warm spell earlier this week, I decided that ice cream would be the thing to make. I have a vanilla ice cream recipe that I love, but I figured that with St. Patty’s Day coming up, I should try making a green-themed recipe: mint chocolate chip with fresh mint.
I enlisted the help of my four-year-old, and had my one-year-old do some taste-testing, too. They approved! This recipe is very simple. The only time consuming step is remembering to place the bowl of the ice cream maker in the freezer at least 24 hours in advance. It’s also a good idea to mix all the ingredients together for two hours prior to making it so that the sugar thoroughly dissolves, but that step can be skipped if needed. I put fresh mint and chocolate chips in the mixture as well as on top as a garnish.
Everything gets added to the ice cream maker for 20 minutes and then you have a fresh, delicious dessert!Print
Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (1 pint) heavy cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp vanilla bean powder or paste (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips
- Thoroughly mix together the milk, cream, sugar and vanillas with a whisk or shake it in a jar.
- Add the milk mixture to the ice cream maker, then add the mint. After 15 minutes, add the chocolate chips. Let it continue churning 5 more minutes, then either serve and eat quickly or transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for several hours. It will melt quickly fresh out of the ice cream maker.