On June 23, Ed and Kathleen Deren shared their grilling know-how with cooking class attendees. Ed, who also teaches fourth grade at Robeson Elementary, has taught several grilling classes at Weaver’s over the years, and, as usual, this year’s recipes were grilled perfection.
- Ingredients for Shallot Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons aged pinot vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup apple cider
- 2 shallots chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic
- ⅓ cup apple cider (reserved)
Ingredients for Pork Marinade:
- 1 pound pork loin, cut into inch cubes
- 2 Fuji or other firm apples, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- One full shallot, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
Before grilling: A dusting of smoked paprika
- Shallot Glaze: Combine all ingredients except ⅓ cup apple cider in medium size pan at medium high heat 5-8 minutes until reduced. Add ⅓ cup apple cider and return to boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Let rest to be added at end to pork.
- Place all ingredients, including pork, in a sealed bag for 12-24 hours.
To Make Kabobs:
- Remove pork from marinade. Alternate pork and apple on moist skewers.
- Lightly dust kabobs with some smoked paprika.
- Cook on a medium grill 10-12 minutes, moving to avoid flare ups.
- Remove from grill and let rest 5 minutes.
- Lightly drizzle shallot glaze over kabobs and serve.
- Portabella mushrooms
- Sweet peppers, yellow and red
- Summer squash
Ingredients for Vegetable Marinade:
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Cut all vegetables into one inch pieces.
- Combine all marinade ingredients. Add vegetables to marinade and place into gallon Ziplockl bag. Refrigerate over night.
- Cook over a medium heat and turn frequently to avoid burning. Cook 5-8 minutes or longer to preference.