Creamed Asparagus Over Baked Potatoes:
Krieder’s milk is the best tasting local milk I’ve found– try some out in this recipe!
Try Kreider’s eggs with this recipe. I think they are delicious– and they are local too!
Our selection of potatoes here at the orchard is endless, I prefer using red potatoes for this recipe but you may experiment with other kinds and find what your family likes!
NOTE: The best way I’ve found to cook asparagus: Chop the bottom ends of the stalks off, there shouldn’t be any white showing on the stems. Discard.
Chop the remaining stalks into bite size pieces. Put in a large saucepan. Cover part way with water. Cook on high until the water starts to boil.
When it’s boiling, turn off the burner, cover, and let set for five minutes.
(You might be able to find a better way to cook Asparagus on the internet and if you ask one of our employees you will get a dozen different answers, but go ahead explore– I won’t be insulted– and share your comments with me I’d love to learn more!)
Creamy Asparagus Over Baked Potatoes
- 1 bunch chopped, steamed asparagus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cup 2% or whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 hardboiled eggs, sliced (an egg slicer does the perfect cut, but you can use a knife if you wish).
- 4 – 6 baked potatoes, depending on how big they are, and how much you want to eat!
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter, add flour and stir constantly until it’s bubbly.
- Then, stirring constantly to avoid burning, add the milk on medium high heat until it starts to form a thickened white sauce.
- Add sliced eggs (warm ones are best), salt, pepper and chopped up asparagus.
- Serve warm over baked potatoes.