Lucas Ho, Chef at Tel Hai Camp and Retreat, taught this week’s cooking class on June 16. Lucas shared three delicious and deceptively simple recipes: strawberry-raspberry caramel sauce, Belgian waffles, and pan-fried chicken. These three complement each other well.
Strawberry-Raspberry Caramel Sauce
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- Category: Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- a pinch of salt
- In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar with water. Place it over a medium heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until it turns into a light amber color. Gently stir the syrup every 5 minutes.
- Once the syrup has turned into the light amber color, add the strawberries, raspberries and honey to the pot. Simmer the mixture for another 5 minutes. Gently stir the mixture every minute.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Using a stick blender, puree the mixture.
- Allow it to cool before storing away.
Pan Fried Chicken Tenders
Start this the night before and let it marinate, then follow the steps for an easy, delicious batter and fry until golden brown.
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon vegetable dip mix
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1 egg
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine all the seasonings and stir well to mix.
- Add the chicken tenders to the seasonings mixture.
- Add the buttermilk to the chicken and mix well. Marinate overnight.
- Add the flour, cornstarch and egg to the marinated chicken, this will form a batter. Mix well.
- In a cast iron or frying pan add the oil, place over heat and bring the temperature up to 375 degrees.
- In small batches, fry the bettered chicken for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.