During the recent heatwave, some friends were commenting on Facebook about how they notice they get headaches more frequently during the heat. I also experience this, so I was interested to see the remedies people suggested.
One person mentioned that heat headaches can be from dehydration and salt depletion, so it can help to consume a little bit of salt with water. This got me thinking about how some margaritas are made with the rim of the glass being salted, so I got to work making my own healthy (alcohol-free) version of this electrolyte-boosting drink by making a raspberry lemonade virgin margarita.
I had some ingredients I wanted to use on hand since I recently picked red raspberries a few times (at the request of my two-year-old who asked to “go Beaver’s, pick waspberries”). The picking has been great! Red raspberries should still have good picking through this weekend while some of the other raspberry varieties will be better earlier this week as they wind down by the weekend. Cherries are still looking great too AND they’re on special, so you could certainly add cherries or any kind of berry to this drink too. Visit our Pick-Your-Own page for the most recent updates.
To make this raspberry lemonade drink all you need is –
Some salt and sugar
Water or sparkling water
- Some salt and sugar
- 12 oz cold water or sparkling water
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- Juice of ½ Lime
- 5-10 red raspberries (or other berries)
- 1 tbsp raw Honey
- Chill a glass in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
- Mix together about 50/50 salt and sugar and place on a small plate.
- Add some water to a shallow bowl or small plate, and dip the chilled glass in the water first, then dip in the salt and sugar mixture. Swirl around until the rim is entirely coated. Set aside for a minute while you mix the lemonade in another cup to avoid getting any of the salt/sugar mixture in the drink.
- Juice the lemon and lime and mash the raspberries (strain if desired). Add the honey and stir until everything is well combined. Add the water and take a taste -- depending on how juicy your citrus is you may want to add more honey.
- Carefully pour the lemonade into the salted glass. Drink with a straw and lick off some of that yummy salt/sugar mixture!