— A recipe for fried apple ring pancakes using either pancake mix or a from-scratch pancake recipe. —
A few years ago, my husband and I were working Weaver’s Orchard’s booth at the Hay Creek Apple Festival. We enjoyed talking with all the people who had made the trek to the festival. Many were locals – old friends and acquaintances or familiar faces from the years we’d worked the festival, but many said they had driven an hour or more to come! While at the time it seemed like a long drive for an apple festival, my husband commented that if we didn’t have things like this near us we would drive a distance for it.
Now we’ve moved away and sadly it’s the case that we don’t have apple orchards and apple festivals in our backyard. Last year we stumbled upon a cider making operation in a nearby county, and realized that region is known for it’s apple cider. The next weekend we drove around aimlessly following signs for orchards and apple festivals until we found a sign for the apple festival of all apple festivals in the region! This one was even complete with a huge flea market, just like Hay Creek’s.
Now we’ve made going to this festival an annual tradition. We stock up on ~20 litres of apple cider. We get the fresh food, including apple sausage (just like Hay Creek) and of course, the apple specialties. Our favorite thing is the apple “fritters,” which consist of slices of peeled, cored apple dipped in dough and deep fried, then sprinkled with powdered sugar. When we got home, my husband suggested that we could make our own version of these sometime with pancake batter, so that’s exactly what we did. Since I don’t own an apple peeler-corer-slicer and I honestly don’t mind the apple peel, I left the skins on, cored the apple with a knife and cut them into rings. Then I mixed up some pancake batter and added in a teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg and cloves. I fried them on a sauté pan with a little bit of butter and voilà! Our own homemade apple fritters doubled as a yummy breakfast. They are delicious served with powdered sugar or maple syrup – or even just plain!
This would make the perfect easy breakfast if you are entertaining this holiday season. Save yourself some steps by purchasing pancake mix from our market, or make your own mix with this recipe from our friends at Wolff’s Apple House.Print
Fried Apple Ring Pancakes
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
- 1 recipe pancake batter for ~4 servings (mix or from scratch)
- 3 large apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- a dash of nutmeg
- a dash of cloves
- Butter for frying
- Mix pancake batter according to instructions. Add in cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- If desired, peel apples. Core them and slice them into rings.
- Add the butter to the sauté pan and bring to medium-high heat until the butter melts. Remove from heat if you aren’t ready to add the apple pancakes yet.
- Dip the apple rings into the batter until they are completely covered. Transfer to sauté pan. Spoon extra batter into the hole where the apple core was.
- Flip once the pancakes get bubbly and golden brown on the bottom.
- Transfer to a serving plate and repeat until all the pancakes have been made. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.