Ginger Syrup (for fruit)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 3–4 strips orange zest
- 6 thin slices fresh unpeeled ginger
- 1 strip of lemon zest
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 ripe melon, cubed
- 2 pears, peeled, cored and cubed
- 4 tablespoons crystallized ginger
- fresh mint for garnish (optional)
- Combine the water, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, ginger, lemon juice, lemon zest in a saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Discard the strips of orange and lemon zest as well as the ginger slices.
- Strain the mixture (to remove the pulp) and store in a lidded jar. (Chill for at least one hour before use).
- The syrup will keep for a week in the refrigerator.
- Arrange melon in a dish with the pear. Drizzle the syrup over top according to taste. Top with crystallized ginger and (optional) mint leaves.